Possible purchase?

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
sd120
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Possible purchase?

Post by sd120 »

New Member here, hopefully this is in the correct thread. Getting ready to go for a pre-buy inspection on a ‘46 120 and was hoping to get some of your thoughts on value. The good: plane has been in hanger, and has flown regularly. New fabric in 2002, 150 exhaust, newer headliner, new tires, Scott tailwheel. To name a few. The Bad: no books prior to ‘02. Engine time is unknown, but tach is showing around 900 on stock C85 (assuming that is a pretty solid engine time) compressions are all in the 70s. No ADSB.

Books for the last 20 years are well kept and show maintenance was diligently taken care of. I plan on keeping this plane for many years to come, but don’t want to be upside down either. Was hoping some of you with more knowledge than me could chime in with a range in the current market (which I realize is all over)
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Possible purchase?

Post by 6643 »

So do you have a log book for the engine? Any times, like TSOH?

If you're serious, I'd order the records CD from the FAA. It will contain everything they have on file for it. I think it only costs about $5.00.

The most important thing, other than a current airworthiness certificate that matches the plane, is condition.

Any excuses for the missing logs? Any information on the history of the plane prior to the time they went missing?
sd120
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by sd120 »

Only information before 2000 is word of the seller. Story is the previous owner had the plane some 30 years. Logs burned in a house fire. Engine was supposedly rebuild shortly before 2000, but there is no paper proof (I do believe seller, and tach time lines up with the story) I do think that the lack of books is truly just an unfortunate situation. Airplane is airworthy and has been flown extensively in the last 20 years, and the current logbooks show that it was well maintained (best anyone can figure is 900 SMOH) It seems that it is pretty common for these aircraft to be missing logs. Of course I would rather have detailed books from the day it came off the line, but if the price reflects the missing logs, I’m not sure I can go wrong? It is a 77 year old aircraft after all. I’m not 100% sold and will be doing a good pre-buy. Was just curious on the groups thoughts.

I will see what information I can drum up from the FAA. Thank you for the lead!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

sd120 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:04 pm I will see what information I can drum up from the FAA. Thank you for the lead!
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... ft_records

The plane has been flying for 24 years without logs; it's probably not much of a concern. Just make sure there's no hidden damage.

Moving my logs to the fire-proof safe...
sd120
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by sd120 »

6643 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:24 pm
sd120 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:04 pm I will see what information I can drum up from the FAA. Thank you for the lead!
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... ft_records

The plane has been flying for 24 years without logs; it's probably not much of a concern. Just make sure there's no hidden damage.

Moving my logs to the fire-proof safe...

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!!
and good idea with the safe :)
Name: Josh C
Aircraft Type: 140A/C90-14F
Occupation-Interests: Telecommunications

Post by 8413 »

Consider that down the road when you sell the plane, the pool of buyers will be much smaller due to the missing logs. And of the potential buyers in that pool, they are all going to want it for less than market pricing of a plane with all logs. How much less?, who knows...depends on the buyer and the market at the time.

A few years of missing logs back in the 50's is not as big of a deal than 50yrs of missing logs. A heck of a lot happened to that plane during those 50yrs that you have no idea about.

I’m not saying not to buy it, just understand it may be a difficult sell later.
Josh