Sugestion for Tech forum

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.

Is a generator an airframe part or a powerplant part?

Airframe
33%
Powerplant
48%
Neither
14%
Both
5%

Total votes: 21

Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: 1946 140, S/N 9727
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Sugestion for Tech forum

Post by 8178 »

My preference would be to have two categories. One for electrical and the other for the rest of the plane.
Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Retired Congressional Staff, Navy Reserve Retiree, Former P-3 Flight Engineer, Former aerospace technician

Post by 4945 »

You should do a call for anyone who downloaded the tech articles posted by Neil Wright. I have a few I can send. I bet most or all of them are out there on people's hard drives.

Gary
Rob Swanland
Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: C-140A
Occupation-Interests: Website & Forum Administrator

Post by Rob Swanland »

I'm interested to know the background on these articles by Neil Wright - were these articles posted on the old forum site? I have all of the old content, however becuase of the large number of the old posts, images and other attachments it would be helpful to prioritize the recovery of this data. Thanks.
Occupation-Interests: Retired Congressional Staff, Navy Reserve Retiree, Former P-3 Flight Engineer, Former aerospace technician

Post by 4945 »

They had their own section in the old forum that was read-only, as I recall. Besides having online chats and email exchanges with him regarging my hodge-podge electrical system, I used to see him over at Livermore when he'd be helping Lloyd Domeier with his 140.

Gary
V529
Name: Victor G
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Yes, it was a separate section just below the tech forums. It was locked so that while you could read, no-one could change or edit Neals articles and there wasn't any discussion available on any of them either.

Post by 4945 »

One could contact Neal by email and he was very responsive. Anyway, I apologize for leading this thread off-topic.

I would suggest four categories, based on the kind of problem that needs to be solved: Airframe, Powerplant, Electrical, and Avionics. Everything falls under one of those categories, and they'd be easy to search. Yes, an alternator is technically an engine accessory, but it's likley to be tangled up in a problem with an electrical component on the airframe. Categorize by potential issues that need to be solved.

Gary
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

4945 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:05 pm One could contact Neal
Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. Neal took that great flight west a couple of years ago. Coincidentally, I lost another aviation buddy, also surnamed Wright, within a month of Neal's passing.
Rob Swanland
Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: C-140A
Occupation-Interests: Website & Forum Administrator

Post by Rob Swanland »

I am in the process of restoring Neil Wright’s articles from the old forum.
Name: Chuck
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Comm ASMEL, Istrument, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P/IA, Flight Engineer.

Post by 1307 »

The generator is listed in the C-85 parts manual, pg 2-21, item 8. So it would be an engine part. http://veteranflyg.se/wordpress/wp-cont ... g-2011.pdf
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

Original 120's came without an electrical system. Most of them, these days, have an electrical system. What was modified, the engine or the airframe?
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals