Interesting Survey you came up with.

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Re: Interesting Survey you came up with.

Post by V529 »

6863 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:56 pm With all due respect, generators and alternators are not engine parts simply because in another era they were listed in the Continental C85 parts manual. In 2018 generators and alternators are airframe parts. They are not listed in the engine Type Certificate Data Sheet but are listed in the Airframe Type Certificate Data Sheet.

John Kliewer
It's all covered by the Type Certificate. Since the generator is listed under the Airframe type certificate A768 (Item 301) you would think it would be an airframe part/entry. What can get confusing is that the C-85 type certificate lists specific generators. The type certificate for C-90's and 0-200's simply lists the pad availability for "accessories".

I've always held to the idea whatever it takes to specifically make the engine run, *fuel, ignition & starter* are "engine log book items.
A propeller for instance is also "bolted" to an engine. That does not make it an "engine entry" item, any more than the exhaust, also bolted to the engine.
I suppose To be on the safe side you could make an entry in each.

The point earlier that STC's are typically SA= Airframe or SE= engine typically runs true, with basic components to each.
An F&M oil filter would be an SE STC.
A Power Flow Exhaust is an SA STC.

Our current headache that has cropped up with the local FSDO is ..............

If you sign off the Airframe Log book with an annual sign off, do you also "NEED" an annual sign off in the engine and propeller log book. Have fun with that one! Let's have another survey!!!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Interesting Survey you came up with.

Post by 6643 »

I know the answer 'cuz I used to teach this stuff...

As far as I know, any registered user can start a topic and create a survey. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes...