Interesting Survey you came up with.

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Ramp Rat
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Semi-Retired A&P

Interesting Survey you came up with.

Post by 5099 »

I noticed under the “Suggestions for Tech Forum” there was a survey posted called:
“Is a generator an airframe part or a powerplant part”?

I found the answers interesting because the first 3 option answers were divided equally at 33%. Of course at the time I submitted my answer there were a total of 6 people answering, including myself.
If possible I’d like to see this survey listed under its own subject title. I’m wondering just how many people think that an engine driven generator is a powerplant item or an airframe item. Is a generator necessary to make an engine run?
JMHO, Steve.
America, Love it or Leave IT!
Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Blasting people into the sky with rockets.

Re: Interesting Survey you came up with.

Post by 8170 »

Its an accessory...
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

Interesting, indeed! :D My own related survey locally has equally balanced answers (2 = airframe & 2 = engine). These "opinions" are from 1 "seasoned" FAA inspector and 3 "independent" IAs. Some very limited research seems to indicate that legal definitions may not jive with the opinions of technicians who may be turning wrenches & logging repairs, and the FAA seems to just "direct" that aircraft maintenance/accessory replacement must be properly recorded, 'though they apparently don't actually define the specific answer to John's question(?). (...see what you've started, John?! ;) ). Mac
Name: Ramp Rat
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Semi-Retired A&P

Post by 5099 »

Again, Interesting.
How about this? A Piper J3C Cub with a C-65, 75 or 85 engine (sound familiar)? Can not have an engine driven generator because there is not enough room between the engine and the firewall. So, an engine does not need an engine driven generator to run. Also, there is an STC to add an alternator to a C-120/140. The STC is an Airframe modification. If you remove the engine and sell it the alternator STC stays with the Airframe and not the Engine.
Got a headache yet? :lol:
America, Love it or Leave IT!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Just goes to show, how you word the question has a bearing on what answers you'll get. Maybe I should have asked "Which rating do you need to work on an engine driven generator, airframe or powerplant?
5099 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 pm there is an STC to add an alternator to a C-120/140.
Carefull, you'll give away the right answer! ;)
Name: Chuck
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Comm ASMEL, Istrument, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P/IA, Flight Engineer.

Post by 1307 »

The generator is listed in the Continental C85 engine parts manual, page 2-21, item 8. So it is an engine part.

http://veteranflyg.se/wordpress/wp-cont ... g-2011.pdf
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

But, the generator is listed (separately) in the Cessna parts catalog, so, doesn't that make it an airframe part?
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

The overhaul manual states "Service maintenance instructions relative to accessories installed on Teledyne Continental aircraft engines in our factory are reprinted herein by permission of the accessory manufacturers"
I agree with Johns' :)
Last edited by 6298 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

With all due respect, generators and alternators are not engine parts simply because in another era they were listed in the Continental C85 parts manual. In 2018 generators and alternators are airframe parts. They are not listed in the engine Type Certificate Data Sheet but are listed in the Airframe Type Certificate Data Sheet.

John Kliewer
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."
Name: Jim B
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Pilot, Southwest Airlines

Post by 8240 »

An alternator or generator is an engine accessory. Once the engine is installed into an airframe, any modification of it belongs to the airframe... this is evident in the light weight alternator conversions bearing STCs beginning with SA, the “A” designates an airframe modification. My supposition is its an airframe alteration because the alternator provides power to the aircrafts electrical system. Starters, also an engine accessory, when modified in the installed aircraft, are designated as an engine modification, and as such, the STC number begins with an SE, with the E meaning engine.
Any part, engine or accessory, has a manufacturers part number. You could technically buy a Continental C-85-12F thru your Cessna dealer using a Cessna part number. A propeller has a cessna part number in the cessna parts manual.
The line gets fuzzy under the cowling. Things like installing a brackett air filter conversions are an airframe modification, with an stc number beginning with SA... although you see the alteration (and element replacement)often entered into the engine logbools which is technically incorrect. Its also why you see the eligibility list according to aircraft types, not engine models. The induction system is part of the airframe.
When I took my IA exam 30+ years ago, this stuff was really hammered. Now, not so much.
Jim