elevator trim setting

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Re: elevator trim setting

Post by 6298 »

They rotate a few feet behind the Battery..
Last edited by 6298 on Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6468 »

I don't think the cables actually cross. The cables start out in a top / bottom position at the trim wheel (chain wraps around the gear) then transitions to left / right at the pulleys under the floor boards (pulleys side by side, axis's parallel to the ground at the battery box), then transitions from left / right back to top / bottom (pulleys side by side, axis's perpendicular to ground) back in the tail cone. They then remain parallel (one above the other) out to the elevator jack screw (chain around gear). The cables don't ever "cross" ... they converge /diverge. Think 12 an 6 positions moving to a 3 an 9 position then back to 12 an 6. Just make sure the trim tab moves in the correct position when moving the wheel
Name: Dave Sprinkle
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8475 »

So. I figured this out. My trim cables were crossing each other in the tailcone aft of the battery box. The problem was the alignment of the cables on the pulleys under the pilot seat. Once I swapped those two cables on the pulleys under the seat, the cables no longer crossed in the fuselage.