Metalized Wings and Pre Buy

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type
Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Re: Metalized Wings and Pre Buy

Post by 8233 »

I'm going to look at a 120 today. Fingers crossed.
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7916 »

I may have more experience with metal wings than I want to have, having searched for a good set as a result of problems with mine. I posted info re metal wing STC's a year or so ago. Basically, the problem area to look for is with the drag and anti-drag wires. If they are corroded or need replacing, you may have a problem. Mine were rusty and my IA said to replace some of them. We cut new holes just to get at the nut on the end but could not get them loose. There started my search! My wings were sTCd with a Rutello STC which did not permit the removal of the drag and anti drag wires. I have a 140 on the market which I have restored, almost every nut and bolt. Don't remember the STC but it permitted the removal of the wires and placed stiffners in the skin. No rust there. One issue you should look for relates to the number of inspection holes. If you can't get to the wires or nuts, you will eventually have problems or maybe already do.

The Elmira, NY EAA took the metal off theirs and covered them with fabric, saving them in the neighborhood of 20 lbs.
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

More like 80lbs.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Post by 8233 »

I never returned to this thread but I ended up buying a 120. It also has metalized wings but I did have a thorough pre-buy done and it was very clean and no corrosion anywhere. This STC was SA1-259 from Skycraft Designs in NY. The drag wires are still there and also appear to be in great shape. When I had Ken & Lorraine Morris doing some work on it last month, Ken commented that the wings were in very good shape and would not be hard to take them back to fabric, just a lot of labor (and cost). I might venture down that road one day. All things considered, I compromised on the metal wings since the rest of the airplane was is such good shape for the price plus it had a low time C-90 on it, 1600TT airframe and no tell tale signs of previous damage.

In the mean time, I'm focused on other smaller projects to reduce weight: Odyssey battery, alternator conversion, light weight starter. Will be making my first trek this year to Oshkosh. My first year to fly myself. Looking forward to meeting everyone there!
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7916 »

Rutello is the STC that has stiffners on the skin and allows for the removal of the drag and anti-drag wires.
Name: Larry Lowenkron
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140A
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8175 »

My IA asked me to check on an STC for a 140 he just got in and has not seen before. He is trying to do a conformity inspection on it so he can complete an annual.

It has the Skyview metal wing STC. There is a 337 from 1956, but all it says is:
"Metal wing conversion as per Skycraft Design Associates Drawing #" . No number after the "#". The only other thing is a revised weight and CG. He cannot tell if the work was done IAW the STC.

We both agreed that the plane has held together all this time(!) but he feels that it is still his responsibility to verify conformance, since it will be his name/number (and livelihood !) in the logs. I can't disagree!
Does anyone have any more information on that STC? Drawing/data be a big help.

Thanks!
Larry
Name: Ramp Rat
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Semi-Retired A&P

Post by 5099 »

Is there a Data Plate anywhere on the under surface of the wing? For example: Ruleto does not show a existing STC but their work is noted in the C-120/130 TCDS as an option. I didn't see anything for your wings but look at the 337 and see if they reference a kit number or something that might be linked to one shown in the TCDS.
JMHO, Steve
America, Love it or Leave IT!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

If the 337 refers to a STC (SA1-259) the you will not find it listed on the Aircraft Specification. The items listed there with an asterisk are similar to STC's but actually were incorporated into the approved design. Installation of one of those items is actually a minor modification...

Someone from our Association obtained the Skycraft STC for a wing leading edge landing light. (The info is secreted in the old forum...) Maybe he knows how you can contact them. Otherwise, "previously installed by parties unknown..."

(I think I found the landing light STC. Try Woodstock Aircraft Services Inc. PO Box 2, White Lake NY 12786)