Spongy brake

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
atypicalguy
Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Spongy brake

Post by atypicalguy »

I figured there must be a line in there not doing well, but I was hoping for a leaky connection. Oh well. No wonder the PO didnt fix it.
atypicalguy
Occupation-Interests:

Post by atypicalguy »

I dont see how this could be such a slow leak if it is perforated, but stranger things have happened I suppose. Maybe a pinhole.
atypicalguy
Occupation-Interests:

Post by atypicalguy »

Turns out this was just a loose connection after all in my case.
seberggelet
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by seberggelet »

6863 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:30 am
atypicalguy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:04 pm I have a brake fluid leak that does not seem to be coming from the master. It is within the fuselage somewhere and is a slow leak requiring a top up of fluid every 20h or so. A drip forms on the belly every so often. What are the potential leak points downstream of the master cylinder but still within the fuselage? 1946 140. Clevelands.

Thanks.
atypicalguy, it sounds to me like you've got the same problem I have had. Twice now I have had to remove the RH gear leg and replace the 6 inch long horizontal brake line that connects to the top of the gear leg brake line. It is very difficult to access and very difficult to fabricate and get the angles just right. In my case the root cause of this problem was a PK screw which fastens the gear leg fairing to the fuselage puncturing through that six inch long horizontal brake line. Needless to say I am no longer using a PK screw through that particular hole.
Started having similar issues and saw a leak coming from the brake line under the RH gear leg once I removed the RH inspection cover under the seat.
Looks to me like I would have to remove the gear leg to get at that section to replace/repair...
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

Unfortunately I think you are correct about having to remove the gear leg. I hope I'm wrong about that.
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."
Name: TailWheelCharlie
Aircraft Type: C120 - GAKVM
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7698 »

seberggelet wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:06 am
6863 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:30 am
atypicalguy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:04 pm I have a brake fluid leak that does not seem to be coming from the master. It is within the fuselage somewhere and is a slow leak requiring a top up of fluid every 20h or so. A drip forms on the belly every so often. What are the potential leak points downstream of the master cylinder but still within the fuselage? 1946 140. Clevelands.

Thanks.
atypicalguy, it sounds to me like you've got the same problem I have had. Twice now I have had to remove the RH gear leg and replace the 6 inch long horizontal brake line that connects to the top of the gear leg brake line. It is very difficult to access and very difficult to fabricate and get the angles just right. In my case the root cause of this problem was a PK screw which fastens the gear leg fairing to the fuselage puncturing through that six inch long horizontal brake line. Needless to say I am no longer using a PK screw through that particular hole.
Started having similar issues and saw a leak coming from the brake line under the RH gear leg once I removed the RH inspection cover under the seat.
Looks to me like I would have to remove the gear leg to get at that section to replace/repair...
Having started this post with a spongy left brake, Ive recently dealt with a leak on the right in exactly the same place.. Your right, its a pain to get to and I have the scars to prove it.

Removing the gear leg would have made this easy, but I didnt have the stands and expertise to do so; so I compromised.

As you mention, getting the angles correct will be difficult and thats before you try and get the pipework back in... So I went for flexible pipe and fittings from Goodridge 600 series pipe and fittings.

Yes, its still hard to get to the positions, but I managed it with a small amount of bad language...

I ended up making up the pipe and fittings and pre fitting the bulkhead fitting that is on the internal forward facing wall of the gearbox... Hopefully that makes senses.

A small angled pipe spanner would have helped, but I didnt have access to one, so ended up taping a small open ended spanner to a finger so I didnt drop it into the gearbox... Definatley a test of patience :D