More exhaust questions

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: More exhaust questions

Post by a64pilot »

2066 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:46 pm
"...cut and reweld for a perfect fit".
Yep, I've had to do that a few times over the years (...changed pipes a few times in 36 years owning -- they're never the same distance apart). Anything you can do to have a firm fit, but without being "sprung" will help prevent cracking. your installation looks good!! RE the stud, I have had that one break, right at the drilled hole, and I replaced it with an undrilled that's a bit longer. Mac
I’ve got longer studs, and was going to do the double nut trick to remove existing stud, but was a advised that had about zero chance of working. Not knowing what else to do to remove the stud I didn’t, fearing a broken off short stud.
Plus this airplane is now 77 yrs old, assumption is the engine may be too, and it’s made it all those years with a drilled stud. At some point in it’s life it’s likely it had a brace mounted?
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

If this works, it will show the inside of a VW heat exchanger
https://images.app.goo.gl/wXowkjsSyL55wrU66

That’s the way to get heat, anything would help even springs I’m sure
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

a64pilot wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:08 pm
2066 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:46 pm
"...cut and reweld for a perfect fit".
Yep, I've had to do that a few times over the years (...changed pipes a few times in 36 years owning -- they're never the same distance apart). Anything you can do to have a firm fit, but without being "sprung" will help prevent cracking. your installation looks good!! RE the stud, I have had that one break, right at the drilled hole, and I replaced it with an undrilled that's a bit longer. Mac
I’ve got longer studs, and was going to do the double nut trick to remove existing stud, but was a advised that had about zero chance of working. Not knowing what else to do to remove the stud I didn’t, fearing a broken off short stud.
Plus this airplane is now 77 yrs old, assumption is the engine may be too, and it’s made it all those years with a drilled stud. At some point in it’s life it’s likely it had a brace mounted?
I was a bit antsy about removing the studs, too, but my IA is an old Marine oil burner mechanic and had them removed before I could tell him that it couldn't be done :shock: . Mac
tomford
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by tomford »

Is anyone repairing or re making the original style straight pipe shrouds?

Thanks
Tom
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

tomford wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:39 pm Is anyone repairing or re making the original style straight pipe shrouds?

Thanks
Tom
It's been awhile...but, last time I checked with ACORN Welding they would "repair" (rebuild yours) the shrouds. As best recalled, the price quoted was close to $1,000 each. They are repairable, of course, and the curves and bends can be a bit tedious to work but I've seen a few over the years made serviceable by owners/mechanics that looked very good. Don't forget to take a gander at Ebay occasionally -- they do show up there with some looking good, some not so.

Mac
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

tomford wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:39 pm Is anyone repairing or re making the original style straight pipe shrouds?

Thanks
Tom
I've got a pretty decent used set if you can't get yours repaired.........reasonably
atypicalguy
Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by atypicalguy »

Do you still have those straight pipe shrouds? Bottom of my left one just cracked off and I figure I might as well replace them both.

Thanks,
Karl
V529 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:01 am

Thanks
Tom
I've got a pretty decent used set if you can't get yours repaired.........reasonably