Hoerner tips

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: Hoerner tips

Post by a64pilot »

A lot of speed mods do actually work, most are so slight that it’s lost in the noise.
Most wheel pants do little, but there are a few that actually do decrease drag, none of the older factory ones that I know of do much though, more for styling.
Usually you see good wheel pants designs on Van’s RV’s
Best as in most effective speed mod for an older Mooney, is to put later model parts on one, especially the windshield, but most of the aftermarket speed mods do little.

Search for any year model aircraft that has as high a cruise speed and as large a useful load on as little HP as a 140 and you won’t find many, and the ones you do may be narrow focused.

To drift quite a bit, but for some reason we seem to think older designs must be primitive.
In 2001 I bought a Duramax Diesel, what I thought was a throughly modern design. Imagine an aluminum Diesel with double overhead cams and a four valve heads, and forced induction, that was Modern technology.

Later I learned that the Russian T-34 tank engine, designed in 1931 was a Supercharged, aluminum Diesel with double overhead cams and a four valve head, just 70 years before the Duramax
atypicalguy
Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by atypicalguy »

8102 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:12 am I'm not sure about the 140A wingtips, but the 150 wingtips are just made of plastic and attached to the wing with screws into the rib. Replacing the 150 wingtip with a different design is straight forward, remove the retaining screws pop of the existing wing tip and install the new wing tip using the reverse procedure. Probably could be done in less than an hour for both tips. The 140 wing, whether metalized or not (the wingtip is already metalized), has a fair amount of structure that would have to be cut out and replaced with the new tip along with a revised mounting technique including potentually new structure. Not saying it cannot not be done but it's certainly not as straight forward as replacing a 150 wingtip.

Gregg
Found one: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2 ... p_activity

He had a video up and the tips looked square on the shadow.

I look for this mod to be weight neutral. Not sure if the span is increased at all, but would not complain about mire span.

I guess it could have an effect upon stall; the stall on my plane is nice and mushy so would not like to give that up.

Swords already did the 0200 crank and piston and crankcase mod, no vacuum pump, skytec. I could lose the generator I guess but it seems very dependable! Not sure who built my wheel pants but they cannot possibly be costing me speed.

Hoerner knew more than any gaggle of Cessna pilots what works. If there is an STC and the things can add some speed and if they do not cost a huge amount then I can see doing it.

I agree about losing weight from the pilot, but that is a lot rarer and less achievable despite how frequently it is mentioned as a practical method of increasing speed.

One of my tips is a bit dented anyway, so the cost would be offset by the cost of new stock tip somewhat.

Off to do a bit of jogging now...
Name: Gregg T
Aircraft Type: 47 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired Aerospace/Defense Engineer

Post by 8102 »

The original OP mentioned metalized 140 wings, the aircraft pictured is a 140A. Assuming the 140A wing structure is similar to the 150/152 than adding Hoerner tips should be straight forward.
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 8424 »

Here's the Hoerner tip for the 140A:

http://buyplaneparts.com/cessna-hoerner ... 0-182-set/

Steve A H
atypicalguy
Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by atypicalguy »

8102 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:45 am The original OP mentioned metalized 140 wings, the aircraft pictured is a 140A. Assuming the 140A wing structure is similar to the 150/152 than adding Hoerner tips should be straight forward.
Yes I wonder if the 140a wings would be a simple swap to the 140. Strut bolt on location might be different on the A I suppose.
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

atypicalguy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:15 pm Yes I wonder if the 140a wings would be a simple swap to the 140. Strut bolt on location might be different on the A I suppose.
No, I don’ think so, the 140A has a different type certificate than that of the regular 140 & 120. However, if someone was resourceful, and had various components, i.e., such as 140A wings and struts, a larger trim tab as found on the “A” model, a late model 140 fuselage with the swept forward gear, and most important a 140A data plate you might be able to do it, but in the end it would be more economical to just purchase a complete 140A.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

Ref Hoerner tips and drag reduction / speed increase.
I was looking for a Meyers 200D for awhile as a traveling airplane, for those unfamiliar with the Meyers almost all were built in the Rockwell Albany Ga plant and were exceedingly expensive to build so they weren’t successful, but they were fast, I believe still may be the fastest GA non turbo aircraft, every year they still win races. Faster then the S model Bonanza, which is the fastest Bonanza
Their factory wing tips were identical to ours, simple round elliptical tips, so being that so many were racers, installation of Hoerner tips was pretty common in order to increase speed.
They did look Modern, they had a neat plexiglass cover that moved the lights under the surface leaving the tip smooth.
However there was no increase in speed or any other performance increase, it simply made no difference.

I couldn’t find a Meyers I was comfortable buying, so I ended up with a Mooney M20J.
Mooney as you know are known as efficiency kings, nothing goes faster on less fuel then a Mooney. Mooney went through a few different wing tip designs for their Laminar flow wing, older Mooney’s have no tip. the wing simply ends.
When Lopresti came in and developed the J model with all of its “speed mods” he added an interesting up swept tip design, when pushed to quantify the speed increase of the wing tip he starts talking about esthetics, because the truth is, there is no increase in speed,it just looks cool, and cool sells.
He did push the J to 201 MPH at seal level on only 200 HP, but the tips didn’t help.
Attachments
BA4748AB-C821-421E-99FE-FFEF6FA449AA.jpeg
BA4748AB-C821-421E-99FE-FFEF6FA449AA.jpeg (266.16 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
1F6D842D-A1FF-4233-B5DC-87A6ED570656.jpeg
1F6D842D-A1FF-4233-B5DC-87A6ED570656.jpeg (320.64 KiB) Viewed 1855 times