UAVIONIX Wing tip ADS-B

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
sunshinelawyer
Name: Mike Day
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

UAVIONIX Wing tip ADS-B

Post by sunshinelawyer »

Has anyone installed an UAVIONIX Wing tip ADS-B?

I know at least one person has the tail version but was considering the wing tip version for the strobe.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: UAVIONIX Wing tip ADS-B

Post by a64pilot »

I have the tail version, on some aircraft it may be prudent if installing the tail version to rebalance the rudder, but I don’t think ours is balanced
I don’t believe there is any significant difference between the tail and wing tip. the wingtip is slightly cheaper for some reason.
And for some reason it’s apparently a major alteration as it requires a 337, the paperwork takes longer than the install, not much could be easier
sunshinelawyer
Name: Mike Day
Occupation-Interests:

Post by sunshinelawyer »

Thanks
Name: Dean DeRosia
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6478 »

I haven't seen any on 120/140 wingtips, but I have a friend with a 150 who had one. Worked fine, but after he banged his head into the antenna fin a couple of times he sold it and bought a Tail Beacon instead. I'm sure people get used to it eventually but it's something to consider. Too bad they don't make a "top antenna" version for high-wing aircraft.
Dean DeRosia
N81L
1946 Cessna 140
Glendale, AZ KDVT
Name: Dave Sirota
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6843 »

On a point somewhat related to the original post. I was recently told the following, I THINK it's accurate but plan on researching further before I buy.
What kind of flying do you do and where? The Skybeacon is a 978 beacon. As such, it is a ground based system. The Tailbeacon X is a 1090 beacon and satellite based. The big difference for me is the ground based system doesn't see you if you're playing down low or behind mountains. I have a 122.5 ELT. I hoped ADSB would substitute for buying a new ELT and satisfy my safety solution of being found if I go down. A 978 beacon won't help with that.

I plan on researching more at OSH this year.
Dave Sirota
'46 C-140 N89654
'96 Hatz N24B
KRYN
a64pilot

Post by a64pilot »

The tailbeacon-X is a whole different animal, it’s also a transponder and of course need one of a couple different devices inside the aircraft to tune the transponder. I came close to getting one for my Mooney and putting the tailbeacon in the Cessna, however I couldn’t find out how much hassle it is to change squawks, current transponder if I’m told squeak 1611, I just push buttons 1611, the tailbeacon is going to require more steps, how many I haven’t any idea, but I believe the device only has two buttons, maybe three
Then $$$ reality set in, it’s a great price for what your getting, but still inst cheap.
Most likely it will be paired with an AV-30, but an AV-20 will work, with the -30 bundle you save $300, but it’s still over $4,000
For safety a 243.0 ELT or a PLB would be better in my opinion. ADSB first someone has to be paying attention and they may think you just landed in a grass strip
https://uavionix.com/product/tailbeacon ... -c-bundle/

Oh, maybe the tailbeacon-X is both a 978 and a 1090, so if your going to Europe or class A airspace your covered, neither is likely for me.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

a64pilot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:11 pm I couldn’t find out how much hassle it is to change squawks, current transponder if I’m told squeak 1611, I just push buttons 1611, the tailbeacon is going to require more steps, how many I haven’t any idea, but I believe the device only has two buttons, maybe three
Buttons? It's configured by an ap on your phone.

As far as changing squawks, the tailbeacon listens to your transpoder and copies it. Easy-peasy. (That's the secret sauce!)
Name: Tony Becker
Aircraft Type: C-120 NC2442N
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8014 »

My A&P/I said he'd put either in our 120 but he recommended the tail beacon because it was usually easier to install. We've had it since 10/2019 and have not had any problems. It also did not seem to affect the trim or rudder balance. Plus, you can't whack your head on it if you're over 4' tall.
-----------
Tony Becker & "Rosebud"
C-120 NC2442N, S/N 12695, Feb. 12, 1947
"Flaps? We don' need no stinkin' flaps!"
a64pilot

Post by a64pilot »

6643 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:27 pm
a64pilot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:11 pm I couldn’t find out how much hassle it is to change squawks, current transponder if I’m told squeak 1611, I just push buttons 1611, the tailbeacon is going to require more steps, how many I haven’t any idea, but I believe the device only has two buttons, maybe three
Buttons? It's configured by an ap on your phone.

As far as changing squawks, the tailbeacon listens to your transpoder and copies it. Easy-peasy. (That's the secret sauce!)
Not the tailbeacon-X, it IS the transponder, you no longer have a transponder in the panel, and I assume no longer have a blind encoder either.
Makes one wonder how IFR certs will be done now.
But anyway as the -X is the transponder, it requires a control head to control it, hence the need for either the AV-20 or -30

Here is a link to the -X
https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeaconx/
I was responding to 6843
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Post by 8474 »

a64pilot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:11 pm The tailbeacon-X is a whole different animal, it’s also a transponder and of course need one of a couple different devices inside the aircraft to tune the transponder. I came close to getting one for my Mooney and putting the tailbeacon in the Cessna, however I couldn’t find out how much hassle it is to change squawks, current transponder if I’m told squeak 1611, I just push buttons 1611, the tailbeacon is going to require more steps, how many I haven’t any idea, but I believe the device only has two buttons, maybe three
Then $$$ reality set in, it’s a great price for what your getting, but still inst cheap.
Most likely it will be paired with an AV-30, but an AV-20 will work, with the -30 bundle you save $300, but it’s still over $4,000
For safety a 243.0 ELT or a PLB would be better in my opinion. ADSB first someone has to be paying attention and they may think you just landed in a grass strip
https://uavionix.com/product/tailbeacon ... -c-bundle/

Oh, maybe the tailbeacon-X is both a 978 and a 1090, so if your going to Europe or class A airspace your covered, neither is likely for me.
Canada also will require 1090 when that mandate becomes effective....