Aileron Rigging

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Aileron Rigging

Post by 6468 »

I need help, someone to check my thought process. Ailerons are off the (fabric) wings & I am attempting to set the bellcrank positions. My problem is adjusting the carry-thru cable. In order to center the stop bushings in their slots I have to leave 7 threads showing on the turn buckle. If I tighten in to the min of 3 threads (showing) both stop bushing are symmetrical but are off center. The carry-thru cable is straight & direct (bellcrank to bellcrank) and only slightly touches the center pully (passes below the pully, behind the rear carry-thru spar). It's as if my cable is 1/2" too short. I have plenty of adjustment on the direct cables. Its not off center by much, but if not centered, the R & L wing (or the forward & back) stops will not hit at the same time. Unless there's a longer turnbuckle out there that I'm unaware of I think my only recourse is to order another cable (this one was ordered from Mc Fairlane). Am I missing something? anyone else had this issue? Also, if I am looking correctly at our club reference manual (pg. 2700/19) it shows in the top picture the carry-thru cable forward of the direct cables and the bottom picture it's behind (closest to the aileron). My carry thru is as shown in the top drawing. (forward of the direct cables). But that makes me wonder, can the bellcranks be installed upside down? All ideas are appreciated! Thanks, Jim S
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Aileron Rigging

Post by 6643 »

Are you aware there are short and long turnbuckle barrels available? If you have a short one now, going to a long one may solve your problem.
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

It sounds like you are replacing at least one cable.
Did you compare side by side the repacement cables to the old cables?

Just a thought.

Rick
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6468 »

I replaced all the cables, bought a complete "set" from Mc Fairlane. Plane was purchased as a project and the cables were long gone so I have no comparison. And I'm using the longest turnbuckle barrel & end. I was going to go ahead and try to finish the rigging as-is and see how close I can get with only 3 threads showing. If not successful I will pull the cable, measure the length, call Mc Fairlane and see if I can get a slightly longer cable. I'm very close but it's not right. I don't see any other solution. Thanks, Jim S
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

I think you need to mount the ailerons to rig it properly.
How else are you going to measure the up and down travel?
The Operating manual shows 22 degrees up and 14 degrees down.
The stops should be set to hit the up and down limits.

Rick