Aileron Cable tension

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Aileron Cable tension

Post by 6468 »

I am setting the aileron cable tension. The POH says to set to about 30. With the bellcrank fulcrum off center getting all three cables set to 30 is not physically possible. So, first off where did you take your readings … in the fuselage or by the bellcrank? Second, set the direct cables 20 to 25 and let the cross thru spike to 30 + or set the cross thru to 30 and let the direct cables drop down to whatever. Does anyone have any general recommendations. I have to bias the cable tension one way or another and wonder what others have done. not reinventing the wheel . Thanks in advance, Jim
Name: Joe H
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: A&P IA Ret.

Re: Aileron Cable tension

Post by 6641 »

Its measured anywhere on the crossover cable at about 70F. In my experience this results in a draggy feeling system. The pulleys in the upper fuselage are attached with rather flimsy looking mounting brackets and the tighter you go the more they flex.To quote a maintenance manual from another manufacturer of the same era. " Set cable tension not so tight as to cause excessive binding or excessive play" Try the 30lb setting and see how it feels. The direct cables are not measured.
I switched over to ball bearing pulleys. It did not help much.
Joe
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Aileron Cable tension

Post by 6643 »

All good advise.

The cable tension should (will) not change depending on the position of the controls. If it did, the controls would always try to return to the lowest tension position.