Fuel Gauge Cork Float

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Fuel Gauge Cork Float

Post by 8424 »

I needed to replace one of the fuel gauge floats in my 140A. The other one was in good condition but needed resealing. So I just replaced them both.

The size of the neoprene floats available were close to the original cork floats, probably close enough to not cause a problem.

I found new cork floats that are the exact match for the original floats that were on my gauges, 1" x 1 1/2" with the correct hole diameter. They are Evinrude boat fuel tank floats.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/12643.cfm

Cork float a.jpg
Cork float a.jpg (12.36 KiB) Viewed 1176 times

I'm sure you owners have a source for the cork floats, but I thought I would add this to the forum since a search came up empty. (Or maybe I'm the only one who would choose to use the cork float!)

Steve A H
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: Fuel Gauge Cork Float

Post by a64pilot »

I have used cork and like it. but I put a thin cover of A2 fuel tank sealer on them, the A is thinner than the normal B and of course as this stuff is used to seal wet wings it is completely fuel proof.
Unsealed cork over time can absorb fuel making the reading less accurate, but as a heavy cork means it shows lower than actual fuel level, it’s not unsafe in my opinion.