5G GPS LOI Issues?

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

5G GPS LOI Issues?

Post by 6930 »

They have been putting 5G on-line here in Northern Illinois recently. I'm president of the board of directors at Naper Aero (LL10) and a number of pilots have reported to me that they have experienced GPS loss of integrity issues over the past few days. I had the same problem myself in my 140 with a Stratus ESG and Garmin GNC 250XL which led me to think I was having some kind of electrical issue in my airplane. Both units lost position on me multiple times.

Our airport manager filed a GPS anomaly report with the FAA. He also talked to TRACON and they told him they have been receiving reports from a number of airports in the area.

Here's a link to a Youtube video posted by our airport manager while landing a 182 at Naper....this is not cool. It would suck big time to be on our GPS approach to minimums and have this problem crop up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29nwLTRTOXY&t=78s

We don't know for sure if it is a 5G thing, but it kind of looks like it might be. I'll post as I learn more. Meanwhile, those of you flying instrument approaches should be aware that there may be a problem.
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10
simonlowther
Name: Simon Lowther
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Airline pilot Airbus 320

Re: 5G GPS LOI Issues?

Post by simonlowther »

Get the Covid-19 vaccine, apparently it will clear up all 5G issues but metal stuff will stick to you like crazy!

Sorry could not help myself
Si
Simon Lowther

Cessna 120 (11102)
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Re: 5G GPS LOI Issues?

Post by 6930 »

I hear you!
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10