Scott Fuel Gauge replacement

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
matthewhinmann120cm
Name:
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: A&P and Private Pilot at Skagit Regional Airport

Scott Fuel Gauge replacement

Post by matthewhinmann120cm »

Hello,

I was hoping to see if anyone knows if Wag-Aero P/N: A-107-000, will work in my LH fuel tank. I need a replacement fuel gauge unit, as the float assembly gets stuck/caught for some reason through range of travel.

https://www.wagaero.com/2-1-4-fuel-quantity-gauge.html

Thanks!
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Scott Fuel Gauge replacement

Post by 8224 »

Matt, I don’t know if the gage pictured will work or not but Im Pretty sure it isn’t approved. I finished rebuilding a 140 about a year ago and had the same problem, gages “hung up”. I removed them and found the problem. The “cage” in which the float mechanism operates causes wear in the support that operates the needle we see in the cockpit. This causes the bevel great to fall a little out of alignment and presto, the gage sticks. I would be happy to at least try to fix yours, you pay the shipping both ways and I will do it just for the fun and satisfaction of helping a fellow pilot. Send me your e mail address and I will send you a picture of the problem and the fix.
Steve Hawley
hluther205@gmail.com
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

...wondering where Matt went(?). While he may/may not realize it, the offer for bushing "refurb" of his guage assembly is rare & real opportunity to have the original practically "as good as new". Steve's description of the issue, his proven/practical fix and a very thoughtful outreach to this fellow pilot comes from one of the world's finest folks with well earned IA/A&P plus an incredible and impressive lifetime list of builds, re-builds, repairs (aircraft & components), re-furbs and return-to-service accomplishments to date. A related PM sent to Matt...not picked up as of yet. Matt, if you're out there...?

Mac
ghorn
Name: George Horn
Aircraft Type: C170B
Occupation-Interests: Retired Simulator/CheckAirman I.P.

Post by ghorn »

The original Scott gauges were actually made by Rochester for Scott…and for Cessna. They are also available from Aircraft Spruce: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ey=3009164

The gauge is said to be made for “experimental” aircraft only because it is not FAA-PMA for any particular aircraft. The use in a certificated aircraft will have to be determined by the owner. I suggest that since it will require you to bend and/or shorten and re-shape the float “arm” to meet the needs of your particular fuel tank…that it would then become an “owner produced part”, perfectly legal under Pt. 91. see: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... hg_1-2.pdf

Also see: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... _CHG_1.pdf

These have been used in many aircraft quite successfully…Plus…the new floats are nitrile and do not fail as the cork originals did. (Nitrile floats as well as gaskets for these gauges are also sold by Spruce.)

I will attempt to post a pic later of how the arm was re-shaped to fit the Cessna tanks. (I’m out of town on a trip and do not have the sample gauge with me to photograph.) Hope this helps.
Fuel Gauge.pdf
(273.45 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

Post by 6597 »

You'll want a 4" throw for the arm but otherwise it's a basic fuel gauge.
2-1-15 067.jpg
2-1-15 067.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
matthewhinmann120cm
Name:
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: A&P and Private Pilot at Skagit Regional Airport

Post by matthewhinmann120cm »

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I’m new the forum life, so I’m still figuring out how some of this works. 😂 This gauge has been a problem, and I’ve tried fixing it myself. It’s actually not a “cage” style, but a tube style. I attached a photo or two so you can see what it looks like. Gauge came with the aircraft, so I don’t know if this is original equipment????

It appears to be that the gear on the needle side slides on the shaft, and gets caught on the float gear housing, causing it to pinch… but could be something else. These are stupid simple and should be bullet proof, so I can’t imagine the fix being hard.

I will PM you Steve. Thanks!

Matthew Hinman
p51mustangfreak@gmail.com
Attachments
IMG_5860.jpeg
IMG_5860.jpeg (16.95 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
IMG_5859.jpeg
IMG_5859.jpeg (18.87 KiB) Viewed 5055 times