Rebuild kit for break master cylinder 1946 cessna 140

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
labo
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Rebuild kit for break master cylinder 1946 cessna 140

Post by labo »

Where can I find a rebuild kit break master cylinder for 2946 cessna 140
brandon7766
Name: Brandon
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Rebuild kit for break master cylinder 1946 cessna 140

Post by brandon7766 »

Hey labo,
I am not sure that there is a rebuild kit. If you still have the original master cylinder, the master cylinder is overall pretty simple. With the help of an A&P, it might be worth disconnecting the master from the pedal and unscrewing the top of the master cylinder (keeping the reservoir in the airplane). That way you can take a look at what needs to be fixed and order parts as needed. By taking off just the top of the master, you don't lose much hydraulic fluid and the parts should come out connected to the top.

Me and my A&P recently did this on my 1946 140 and replaced the O-ring (PN: AN6227B-7 - this seems to have replaced AN6227-7) due to a non-functional left brake. I would think the only "wear items" would be the o-ring and the spring.

Below are images from the parts catalog.
Master_cylinder.jpg
Master_cylinder.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Master_cylinder2.jpg
Master_cylinder2.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 183 times
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Rebuild kit for break master cylinder 1946 cessna 140

Post by edidin »

This is the way to go. If you find you can't extract the spring, a paint can opener filed to a little narrower than the spring opening will fish it out. Removing the body is easy, re-installing not-so-much, and generally just need to work from the top. I found that the bends in the right brake trajectory to the caliper trapped air to the point that only vacuum bleeding from below worked - pressure did not for some reason...