Nut plate replacement for Rudder attach bracket

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Graham R
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Nut plate replacement for Rudder attach bracket

Post by 8258 »

Hello all,

After having the tailfeathers off to replace the tailwheel bracket (thanks Lorraine ;) ), I fear I may have stripped the thread inside one of the nut plates for the lower rudder attach bracket. One of the AN3s would not unwind and when I finally did get it off the end 2 or 3 threads on the bolt were slightly compromised.

Can anyone offer words of wisdom on replacing the nut plate. How to do it, is it difficult and any 'gotchas'...

thanks
Graham
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Nut plate replacement for Rudder attach bracket

Post by 4004 »

Try "cleaning up" the existing one by getting the correct tap for the threads, and run it through. With new bolt, see if you can get to proper torque value. I can see/hear the eyebrows rising! :D With no photo of the bolt damage, only you can assess the suggestion, 1 1/2c
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

If you can find a thread chaser instead of a tap, that would be even better. A tap will pretty much destroy the fiber locking of the nut plate, so don't go any farther than absolutely necessary.
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

Yeah, I thought about that, but the Prof beat me back on. If no thread chaser, use tap, if able to get torque value, remove and add a drop of loc tite and re torque to upper range of torque range as final "safety check".