Parts for quarter turn fasteners for cowling latches

For Buyers & Sellers: A Place to List Aircraft and Related Parts For Sale or Wanted to Buy

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
flyer2017
Name:
Aircraft Type: 140A
Occupation-Interests:

Parts for quarter turn fasteners for cowling latches

Post by flyer2017 »

Our 140A has cowling latches with a quarter turn fastener to hold them closed. Two of the fasteners have lost the part that holds the fastener in the latch when open. I'm looking for parts or whole fasteners. Fairly easy to find the fasteners when they fall on the hangar floor - probably won't be so lucky on grass!
img_3876.png
img_3876.png (146.73 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
img_3875.png
img_3875.png (252.65 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
img_3874.png
img_3874.png (123.8 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Parts for quarter turn fasteners for cowling latches

Post by 4004 »

Those are "camloc" fasteners available from Aircraft Spruce - catalog has pictures so one can easily identify missing parts. I use the "wing" version on another aircraft so I don't have to go hunting a screw driver each time! :D
flyer2017
Name:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by flyer2017 »

Do you know which part numbers you use? The array of fasteners and sizes is bewildering.
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 8424 »

Hi Flyer.

I agree, it is hard to just look at the pics at AS&S to figure it all out. To many options!

You've probably already done this, but I would look closely on the back side of the 2 camlocs that don't fall out with a flashlight and magnifying glass to see what type of retainer is being used, and then try to match what is available at AS&S. (If you are under 40, you probably can forgo the magnifying glass!) You'll have to get a little creative to install the retainer without the installation tool.

Your AP/IA probably has an assortment of retainers and the tools to install them.

Surely you can incorporate some 100 mph duct tape into this fix!

Steve A H
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Post by 8474 »

Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Is your only problem that the studs don't stay in place when you open the cowl? There is a part called a grommet with a retaining ring that is supposed to keep them from falling out. If you can measure the diameter of the body of the stud where it passes through the latch) I can give you a part number for the grommet. If you need the whole fastener I need diameter and thickness of the material, not including the receptacle. Alternatively, to replace the one you have, measure the overall length of the stud ("S" in the picture) from the face with the screwdriver slot to the end past the cross piece.

Looks like the spring may be broken on your stud. If so, the grommet may still be in the cowl latch. Without the spring, the stud is free to fall out.
Attachments
Camloc stud.jpg
Camloc stud.jpg (36.65 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
flyer2017
Name:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by flyer2017 »

Thanks for the information. I used some up-drilled washers to press on the shell and some RTV to hold them in. We'll see how long it lasts. I'll keep the info for measuring them for the future.