Engine Mount Firewall Brackets

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
smtschirhart
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Engine Mount Firewall Brackets

Post by smtschirhart »

My company is working on a Cessna 140 that is showing major granular corrosion on the brackets mounted inside of the upper firewall that the engine mount attaches to. The parts manual that I downloaded from this sight does not specifically show these brackets, however on Figure 17, #24 and 25 points to where these brackets are. The description is angle, firewall reinforcement, so I am not sure if these are the brackets. I would be grateful if someone out there can help us pinpoint the brackets that we need. Thanks.
Stephen Tschirhart
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Engine Mount Firewall Brackets

Post by 6643 »

Do you mean the stringers? If I recall correctly, there is a stringer at each engine mount attach point, numbers 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 in figure 17.
smtschirhart
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by smtschirhart »

Regarding: Do you mean the stringers? If I recall correctly, there is a stringer at each engine mount attach point, numbers 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 in figure 17.

There are stringers, but there is another bracket that attaches to the stringers that support the engine mount.
Attachments
IMG_1095.jpg
IMG_1095.jpg (238.03 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
smtschirhart
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by smtschirhart »

Okay, I looked up the P/N for the stringer/engine mount and see that it has that part attached. Thank you John for pointed me in the right direction.
Steve
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

smtschirhart wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:50 amI looked up the P/N for the stringer/engine mount and see that it has that part attached.
Why didn't I think of that? I just looked at the pictures...

Check the stringers for cracks. There was a write up in the EAA Vintage mag, or something similar, about 35 years back, about a mysterious buzzing noise behind the panel.