C140 elevator skin structure

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
air2jjs
Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Mechanic, airline pilot, aviation and community food pantry volunteer.

C140 elevator skin structure

Post by air2jjs »

Hello all, As our youth group makes progress on the restoration of our C140, we have started re-skinning the left elevator. Skin was in bad shape and non-conformity skin repair was installed. The matter in question is the stiffener that appears to be friction/spot welded to the skin. Looks to be the original factory configuration. We received new skins from Univair and as you would expect, no stiffener installed. Are these normally re-installed with rivets or how are most of the fleet configured? Thanks for your thoughts.
brandon7766
Name: Brandon
Occupation-Interests:

Re: C140 elevator skin structure

Post by brandon7766 »

My 140 has both. The right one has the spot welds and the left has a rivet. Without diving into the logs, I think the left was a repair and the right is original. Someone more knowledgeable will have to comment which is better/original. A rivet might be easier to install.
air2jjs
Occupation-Interests: Mechanic, airline pilot, aviation and community food pantry volunteer.

Post by air2jjs »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, seems to be no other data on this. Our left elevator will have new skins with riveted stiffness. The right will be spot welded.
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

Spot welds on different skin areas on the Cessna 140 and 170 series was quite common and utilized by the factory when these aircraft were manufactured. Spot welding of aluminum skins was more cost effective for the factory and quicker than the costs of installing a rivet both in man-hour labor and materials. Some of our friends in the Cessna 170 community association have tried to replicate spot welding, but the costs of the welding equipment for a one time skin replacement is far more expensive than using rivets to replace a corrugated skin sheet. I've seen some beautiful work on replacement skins that have been riveted. If you are ever in need of another corrugated skin you might consider also contacting Karl Anderson up in Washington state. Karl makes excellent skins that I've found to be better than the Cessna originals.
https://www.aircraftnorthwest.com/
air2jjs

Post by air2jjs »

Thanks for the info on spot welds and a source for skins. I have the Univair units now and installation in process.