Steve’s Gascolator Installation?

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type
Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Post Reply
8359
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:53 pm
Name: Tamer A
Location: KSNA
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer
Contact:

Steve’s Gascolator Installation?

Post by 8359 »

Anyone have photos of their installation? Even better if photos taken during the install. Just trying to get an idea of how big of a project it is.

Thanks,
Image
dbrown
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2025 6:18 pm
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:
Contact:

Re: Steve’s Gascolator Installation?

Post by dbrown »

I am interested in this as well. Anyone done this?
V529
Posts: 737
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 am
Name: Victor G
Location: Michigan
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.
Contact:

Re: Steve’s Gascolator Installation?

Post by V529 »

I'm on the road for a couple days, could take a pic when I get back. We're talking about the gascolator on the lower firewall correct?

The "B" nut behind the firewall is the issue. Removing the gascolator isn't a problem it's the fuel line behind it.

What I've done is remove the B nut at the fuel selector and draw the gascolator forward to get at the Gascolator mounted fuel line.

Careful! consideration needs to be drawn to re-installation. That fuel line runs right past the Elevator push rod and if contact is made it will eventually wear through the hard fuel line.
User avatar
6597
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 am
Name: David Sbur
Location: Vancouver WA KVUO
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture
Contact:

Re: Steve’s Gascolator Installation?

Post by 6597 »

What I've done is remove the B nut at the fuel selector and draw the gascolator forward to get at the Gascolator mounted fuel line.
Yes. And the fuel line can be damaged by the elevator pushrod if it is not put back in correctly, here's what I found when I got my bird 32 years ago...
fuel line damage.jpg
fuel line damage.jpg (163.69 KiB) Viewed 122 times
User avatar
6643
Posts: 2810
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 am
Name: John C
Location: KLCI, NH
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired
Contact:

Re: Steve’s Gascolator Installation?

Post by 6643 »

Years ago I found similar damage to the fuel line running through the tunnel. The bearings for the control column were worn (which is why I was in there). The column rocked side to side and it allowed the bolt that attached the pushrod to rub against the fuel line.
Post Reply