Carb Temp Gauge or Ice Detector

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Carb Temp Gauge or Ice Detector

Post by 8322 »

Anyone using either? Thoughts? I'm thinking of putting one on my "to do" list... How difficult was it to install on our ol Strombergs?

On the ice detectors is there anyway of periodically testing their proper operation? I would imagine the temp gauges could be compared to OAT prior to start up.

We all know our small Continentals are known as ice makers... I had a close call with carb ice in primary flight training (behind a small continental) so its always been on my mind since. I'm the guy that pulls heat on every 10 or 15 mins in cruise, and it comes on before even thinking of decent to pattern altitude in advance of loosening the throttle lock... In the purchase process I read all the NTSB reports on the 140 back to the early 80's once I finish them I'll read the 120's too. There seemed to be notable amount of engine failures or partial power losses at take off when nothing could be found wrong with engine upon inspection... I thinks its plausible that some of those could have been carb ice, as there are examples of known carb ice at full power, so it can happen.

Ray
Name: David C
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: hobo

Re: Carb Temp Gauge or Ice Detector

Post by 8231 »

I installed an Electronics International carb temp this summer. Super simple install on a Marvel Schebler and I love it, sorry can't offer any help with Stromberg.
VIP620
Name: ken tengesdal
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: fly the 120 over sunflower fields and shoot blackbirds at the same time from august thru october or until the crop is harvested

Post by VIP620 »

manifold pressure gage might help too
Name: Eugene M
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8341 »

Engines just suck what air it needs for the fuel and HP. produced , Ram air when you prematurely close the carb heat (turn it off )in a low RPM condition like gliding to the runway for a landing you are than using ram air instead of engine baffled air, it is a known cause for idle problems and engine stoppage ( this has happened to me ) on a Stromberg . below are two approx. calculations for air flow, A Stromberg is a CV carburetor their is no accelerator pump and the C-90 is one of the biggest engine this series of Stromberg carbs is on. I also attached one doc. from Continental & Stromberg and a picture, these two bulletins came out ( about 65 or so years ago ) they work as well today as they did 60 years ago

The AP/IA that i got these from does the modification that the picture shows on every small plane he works on.

Flow = (displacement in cubic inches * RPM) / (2 * 1728).

Air flow (CFM) = (Horsepower × 0.625) × 1.1104
gene
Attachments
carb plate.jpg
carb plate.jpg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
ContinentalSB-M64-6.pdf
(104.82 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
bullentin 74.pdf
(203.92 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
Name: Eugene M
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8341 »

What i was trying to say in the prior post is engine stop-age is a known problem, with small Continental engines with Stromberg Carburetors Both Continental and Stromberg issued data because some engine stop-age was not Carb ice .
gene
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

8322 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:42 pm Anyone using either? Thoughts? I'm thinking of putting one on my "to do" list... How difficult was it to install on our ol Strombergs?

On the ice detectors is there anyway of periodically testing their proper operation? I would imagine the temp gauges could be compared to OAT prior to start up.
Sounds logical to compare OAT and ice detector gauge before startup.
There may be more information with the gauge when you get it.
We have one our Cherokee but since Lycoming is not noted for carb ice I have never payed any attention.

I do not know about installation difficulties, sorry.

Rick