Tailbeacon Installation

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type
Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Michael R
Aircraft Type: 46 140 0-200
Occupation-Interests: Retired!

Re: Tailbeacon Installation

Post by 6352 »

My rudder had a flexible bonding cable to the airframe. I ran no ground to the tailbeacon and it has worked well with that approach.
Mike Rabe
C140
KDVT
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Tailbeacon Installation DONE AND DONE!!!!!

Post by 6930 »

Tailbeacon installed and fully operational! It was a bit of a journey getting here though....

As originally posted, I was having difficulty finding someone to install the unit for me. As it turns out, the people at JW Aviation at Clow Airport (1C5) were more than happy to do it. I got their name off the UAvionix web site. They were very accommodating, super friendly, did a great job and I was very pleased. Highly recommended! This is a new FBO at Clow and I hope they do well.

After the installation, I flew three test flights two of which failed because of Mode 3A issues. Basically, the Tailbeacon was not transmitting the squawk code set in the transponder. For one test, I had a 15% failure rate, 75% on the second. I tried different threshold settings and what finally worked was flying out of DuPage airport to ensure a good radar lock with the default threshold setting of 35%.

A few comments for those that may be installing the Tailbeacon:

1. I pulled new hot and ground wires through the rudder. I used the old wire to pull the two new ones and it was really easy. The ground is attached to one of the tailpost bolts. From what I've heard, a good positive ground is essential and I would recommend doing this.
2. My rudder mounting flange was not flat. There was a slight curvature and as a result there was too much of a gap between the Tailbeacon mounting plate and the mounting flange on the rudder to get a good seal (even with a gasket). A good seal is important as you don't want water getting onto the back of the Tailbeacon. What I did was to remove some material from the back of the mounting flange so it matched the curvature of the rudder mounting flange. That did it.
3. I could not get the squawk code to capture on the ground in the app (per instructions) no matter where I was or what threshold setting I used. But, again, as noted above, the flight out of DuPage using the default setting worked. Apparently, you need good radar coverage on the ground to get the Mode 3A functionality. I guess this was spotty at my airport even though I was getting an interrogation signal on my transponder.

I wish I didn't have to install this on my plane. It sure doesn't go with the vintage look. But, in the end, It is the least obnoxious of the options that were out there....at least from a cost standpoint if not both cost and appearance.

Mike
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Tailbeacon Installation DONE AND DONE!!!!!

Post by 6643 »

Glad you got it taken care of! Interesting that you got the interrogation indication but it wouldn't pass the self test.
6930 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:58 pmFrom what I've heard, a good positive ground is essential ...
Some people may find that phrase confusing. The airframe ground is the negative connection for the aircraft's electrical system.
Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8362 »

The other day I flew into an airport with a bit of traffic and it was kinda nice to be able to identify the traffic on the radio by their tail number as I entered the pattern.
Totally on board with the technology.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

8362 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:09 pmTotally on board with the technology.
Just don't get too complacent! Remember, if you're in airspace where ADS-B is not mandatory, there could be additional traffic!
Name: John Kliewer
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

Just don't get too complacent! Remember, if you're in airspace where ADS-B is not mandatory, there could be additional traffic!
[/quote]

Like me.
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."
Name: Matt
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8362 »

You’re right, I’m just saying ADSB helps.
I also like how it helps with providing your location and path. I used to run a SPOT. It would transmit my location every ten minutes. If I ever went missing it would give people an idea of where I was. ADSB does it for free.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

Matthew: "...ADSB helps"

Agree. Thanks to ADS-B "In" I'm "seeing" some traffic that I've possibly ( :roll: ) missed seeing over the prior 49 years of flying ( :shock: ). I am keeping an eye peeled for John out there, too! Mac
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

2066 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:15 pm Matthew: "...ADSB helps"

Agree. Thanks to ADS-B "In" I'm "seeing" some traffic that I've possibly ( :roll: ) missed seeing over the prior 49 years of flying ( :shock: ). I am keeping an eye peeled for John out there, too! Mac
Honestly, after flying with Foreflight, with ADS-B in and weather, I think back to the 'good ol days' and wonder how much I was missing for so long........

Our new technology is simply amazing, I have so much data, weather and information on my Ipad. Incredible improvement from when I started flying in the 1970's dialing flight service on a rotary phone up to today.

Too bad my Dad can't see it, when he flew in the 1940's they had the old "low range" to navigate accross the country. He'd be blown away.

I love my ForeFlight and IPAD!!!! :D
Name: Dean DeRosia
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6478 »

2. My rudder mounting flange was not flat. There was a slight curvature and as a result there was too much of a gap between the Tailbeacon mounting plate and the mounting flange on the rudder to get a good seal (even with a gasket). A good seal is important as you don't want water getting onto the back of the Tailbeacon. What I did was to remove some material from the back of the mounting flange so it matched the curvature of the rudder mounting flange. That did it.
I know what you mean about the curve in the mounting flange, and agree that it sure can't hurt to get a good seal there. On the other hand keep in mind that the original tail lights have the same gap and have worked fine for over 70 years. When the plane is parked any rain would need to find the gap, make a 90 deg turn, run back uphill a couple of inches to the forward end of the TailBeacon, make another 90 deg turn, and then find the small hole where the power/ground wires exit to get in. When the plane is in flight the rain no longer needs to run uphill but does need to make the same turns and go against the airflow. I wouldn't blame anyone for sealing the gap, but I don't think it will be an issue. Worse-case, I might MacGyver up a kluge cover similar to the tuna can covers for the fuel caps if the plane has to sit out in the rain.
Dean DeRosia
N81L
1946 Cessna 140
Glendale, AZ KDVT