Oil kidney reservoir

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
dkshply
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Oil kidney reservoir

Post by dkshply »

My 46 c140 has a damaged oil reservoir. Looking for a replacement, I find there are two variations, without part numbers. The continental parts manual showed both, without numbers. My damaged one is the long filler neck version. I have located a short neck version that looks perfect. Are either satisfactory or doi need to keep looking?
Thanks for the help, Dick
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Oil kidney reservoir

Post by 6643 »

There may be as many as a dozen variations. It depends on what Cessna specified. Continental published a SB on oil dipsticks and I think it also covers the tanks. There should be a number stamped on the tank flange.

How bad is yours? They're mild steel, easy to repair.
dkshply
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by dkshply »

Well, it is I believe repairable. But it looks like many repairs have been done over the years,welded, and really clumpy looking brazing. I’d rather put a good one on it. While I have seen several versions, i5ought only two were for the c85.
dkshply
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by dkshply »

And if anyone has a long neck version, I’d love to take it off your hands.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

dkshply wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm And if anyone has a long neck version, I’d love to take it off your hands.
There's one on Ebay that may work, 'though may not be "the" correct #(?). It's item 303510329680. The indication is that the capacity is 4.8 qts....and it does have a long neck. If your IA (or, you) agree that it can be a replacement, an extra nice "feature" (IMO) is the "braces" that are attached from tank-to-flange and may help prevent (almost inevitable) cracks around the flange. The tank pics really look good. And, no, I'm not the seller nor do I know who it may be. Mac
OIL TANK 4 8 EBAY 04 24 20.jpg
OIL TANK 4 8 EBAY 04 24 20.jpg (384.96 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

There are two basic tanks, the 5 quart tank and the 6 quart (wider) tank. The 6 quart tank is used on all O200s (as far as I know) and commonly referred to as an O200 tank, although there are C-series installations that came with this tank. Then, there are long neck and short neck variants. The neck can be at different angles, to accommodate different mounting concerns. Then, there are the left hand and right hand variants (which side is the neck on?)

Any 5 quart tank can be a 4.5 quart tank or a 4.8 quart (etc.) tank. The capacity is "determined" by what is stamped on the cap. The dip stick markings also have to match the length and angle of the neck. The capacity is determined by the airframe manufacturer. Going from memory, the capacity has to be such that the engine will cool properly with half the specified amount, e.g. 2.4 quarts if you have a 4.8 quart capacity, so, the minimum is determined for a particular installation, then doubled to arrive at the capacity.

The one on Ebay has "O200" style braces added to the neck, a good idea except it makes getting the nuts on and tight a PITA.

Post by 2066 »

John wrote: "...makes getting the nuts on and tight a PITA"

Good reminder. I hadn't thought of that added "feature" -- it's already enough of a PITA to get the nuts on/off & "torqued "on the tank without added braces IMO :) . Mac
Last edited by 2066 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

What do I know? From experience taking pains to protect the kidney tank during engine removal, my guess is that these tanks a beating when engines come off, are unhooked from the hoist and stored in a corner or loaded into a pickup for transport. For me the process included the right sized tire/s and proper shoring. And yes those braces are annoying when removing and reinstalling the tank.
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."

Post by 2066 »

6863 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 am What do I know? From experience taking pains to protect the kidney tank during engine removal, my guess is that these tanks a beating when engines come off, are unhooked from the hoist and stored in a corner or loaded into a pickup for transport. For me the process included the right sized tire/s and proper shoring. And yes those braces are annoying when removing and reinstalling the tank.
Agree, John. I've seen more than one "serviceable" engine for sale in the SNF fly market "resting" on the oil tank/concrete floor. Mac
dkshply
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by dkshply »

Wow! Suddenly tons of great information thank you!