Rudder Return Springs

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Rudder Return Springs

Post by 4004 »

Now that you have the specs, you may want to check the spring assortment in Ace "Aviation" for an "owner produced part". I have used their springs for several special "tension/compression" tools over the years. FWIW 2c
tonycondon
Name: Tony
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Pilot, CFI, DPE

Post by tonycondon »

My new-to-me 120 had some "Ace Aviation" springs on it. Left pedal was noticeably further aft than the right pedal. Left cable had enough slack in it to touch the bulkhead.

Air Parts in Wichita had the 0411837-1 & -2 springs the next day from Textron. I'm lucky to live in Wichita so it was quick and easy to pick them up. Install takes minutes. Most of the time is spent removing and replacing the tunnel. Pedals are now even and cable doesn't touch bulkhead.

0411837-1 was $118.21
0411837-2 was $48.27

That's quite a bit less than what Univair is asking.
N2395N
Name: Nathaniel F
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8393 »

I actually ended up turning a mandrel and winding my own springs. To be honest it probably wasn't worth the time as the difference between having the right springs and the incorrect springs that I had was fairly insubstantial and once you have your feet on the rudder pedals the cables have all the tension they're going to get.