molded grease seal for wheel assembly

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Dave Sirota
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests:

molded grease seal for wheel assembly

Post by 6843 »

Hi All. When looking at ACS to buy some new felt grease seals I realized I had the wrong bits in my wheels. Instead of a Ring-Grease Seal (illustration #9A) and a cupped ring seal (#10 - but no longer available), I had two Ring-Grease Seals (maybe because #10 is NLA). Rather than buying / finding the missing bits I decided to upgrade to the Molded Grease Seal as it should seal better and didn't require the missing parts. The inner wheel half went together without problem not so on the outer half. If I add the Molded Seal and the Ring Grease Seal (#9A), the stack is too tall and I can't see, let alone fit, the snap ring (#14). In addition, when trial fitting the wheel to the axle (sans snap ring), the assembly is too thick to allow me to insert the cotter pin through the castellated nut. The bearing races are seated properly into the wheel halves.

I'm tempted to go back to the felt seals - and throw away $130 in molded seals. Has anyone upgraded to the molded seal? Did you have these issues too?

Taking suggestion......

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
Cessna Wheel.jpg
Cessna Wheel.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Dave Sirota
'46 C-140 N89654
'96 Hatz N24B
KRYN
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: molded grease seal for wheel assembly

Post by 6643 »

Which wheel do you have? If you look at the parts breakdown for the individual wheels you'll see that not all the seals fit all the wheels.

There are 3 distinct inner wheel halves and 3 distinct outer wheel halves. Each half accepts only one of three seal possibilities, so I'm guessing no mixing and patching is approved, even if you can make it fit. Also, the method of sealing differs depending on the installation, i.e. the seal has to match the axle and axle nut used.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: molded grease seal for wheel assembly

Post by 6643 »

OK, I did some more research. The correct wheel for the Cleveland conversion is the 40-97A. This uses inner half 161-03000 and outer half 162-02700. It looks like the current seals are 154-12000 inner and 154-12400 plus 153-00300 outer. However, if you have different inner or outer wheel halves, or a different Cleveland wheel all together, or a McCauley wheel, all bets are off.