Wing recover

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Paul D
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Wing recover

Post by 8348 »

Thanks Eric, that sounds like a good idea.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

8313 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:44 pm I wish we would of put in a better nutplate.
The Tinnerman nuts work fine, in my experience, as long as the tabs are not broken. However, you must use type "B" screws with them. Type B have the blunt point and a constant minor diameter over the entire screw. Tightening them down causes the tabs to dig into the shank of the screw and lock. Type "A" screws (sheet metal screws) have a sharp point, are tapered and will not engage the tabs the same way and will easily come loose.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5649 »

Paul - I attempted to send you a personal message, but can't confirm it isn't stuck in the "Out Box." I need to recover my 140's wings (1946; serial 10107) and saw your posts when I searched Oratex on the forum. Have you finished recovering your airplane? If you have, what is your overall opinion of the Oratex process? I am not an A&P, but have some experience with PolyFiber and Oratex appears to be a simpler and faster process.

The photo you posted shows what appear to be original fabric clips. Most of mine appear to be in good condition and I would like to reuse them as I think they look nicer than pop rivets. I haven't figured out an easy and/or quick way to remove them from the wing without damaging the clips or the wing. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Roy
tonycondon
Name: Tony
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Pilot, CFI, DPE

Post by tonycondon »

I've covered 3 Gliders with Stewart Systems and working on a 4th. Very easy to work with. Forget anything you've ever known about shooting paint and just follow the directions when it comes to shooting the topcoat and it should go fine. It's waterborne not water based. You have to build the paint molecules up bit by bit to form a solid coat. A little time required between fogs to let the water evaporate off.

The fabric glue and primer layers are easy easy to work with. The glue has no offensive odors. I've covered control surfaces in my living room while watching TV with my wife.
N2395N
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

5649 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:46 amI haven't figured out an easy and/or quick way to remove them from the wing without damaging the clips or the wing. Any suggestions?
The clips just pop out. Get something wider than a screw driver and pry upward right next to one of the legs, like you were trying to remove a staple.
Paul - I attempted to send you a personal message, but can't confirm it isn't stuck in the "Out Box."
Messages remain in your outbox until the recipient reads them.
Name: TailWheelCharlie
Aircraft Type: C120 - GAKVM
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7698 »

5649 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:46 am Paul - I attempted to send you a personal message, but can't confirm it isn't stuck in the "Out Box." I need to recover my 140's wings (1946; serial 10107) and saw your posts when I searched Oratex on the forum. Have you finished recovering your airplane? If you have, what is your overall opinion of the Oratex process? I am not an A&P, but have some experience with PolyFiber and Oratex appears to be a simpler and faster process.

The photo you posted shows what appear to be original fabric clips. Most of mine appear to be in good condition and I would like to reuse them as I think they look nicer than pop rivets. I haven't figured out an easy and/or quick way to remove them from the wing without damaging the clips or the wing. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Roy

Apologies Roy, I completely missed your PM, but Ive now pinged one back. Had I seen it I would have invited you to a zoom call that I did for our small band of UK owners, where I went through the process on an old piece of wing... Just to make COVID lockdown go a little quicker. Don't think I'll be getting an Oscar for the performance.

At the time I used Oratex I don't believe that the other manufacturers had produced water based solution for gluing, doping and painting. from a personal perspective I love the Oratex product. Its not everyone's cup of tea from a purest point of view, but it suited me.

No dope & no paint! Whats not to like as long as you are happy with the stock colours. That said, they now provide what is called a "WET" version that you can paint.

I continued to use the Cessna clips as I figured "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". To get them out I cut away all the old fabric and pushed them out from the underside. More awkward ones I used a flat screwdriver to pry up one end and then they just pop out. I used pretty much all of the old clips, only replacing ones that where rusty, so changed about 30 in total for both wings.

Ive loads of images of my process if you still need to look...

Best

Paul
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5649 »

Paul - Thank you for the reply and I would appreciate looking at your images. If they are posted on-line, please send me the link.

A friend and I removed my right wing yesterday, but left the lift strut is still attached to the fuselage as we didn't see an easy way to access the attach bolt and nut. Is it possible to remove the bolt and nut without removing the landing gear strut? (I would like to remove the lift strut so another airplane can be put in the hangar while the wings are being recovered). If anyone has a suggestion or technique I would greatly appreciate them sharing it.
Roy Kinsey
Walborsky, Bradley & Fleming, PLLC
438 East Government Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 434-5267 (office)
(850) 982-8166 (cell)
roykinsey@cox.net
https://www.veteransflight.org/
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7698 »

Hello Roy,

I don't have anything posted online since the original association website went down... I can send you them if you PM me an email address. Or happy to set up a Zoom call..

As for the lift strut; the bolt is accessed through the inspection panels just in front of the seats and as I recall is not too difficult to get to.

Hope that helps
Last edited by 7698 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7698 »

Not sure if these help?
Attachments
wing 3.jpg
wing 3.jpg (45.18 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
wing 2.jpg
wing 2.jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
wing 1.jpg