Metalized Wings and Pre Buy

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type
Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Metalized Wings and Pre Buy

Post by 4004 »

Look closely at the bracket that is riveted to the tail post that holds the spring and tail wheel assembly to the fuselage. Check both sides where the upper horizontal edge that's riveted to the fuselage makes the 90 degree turn around the tail post forming the "U" shape. It cracks in the curve and radiates rearward. That bracket is around $800 to 900. Typically caused by "shimmy" in the 8" tail wheels that need maintenance. Not a deal breaker but $ to replace/repair. Understand the club Technical Director may be producing like part at about half price - legal under " owner produced part " for vintage aircraft.

Big Edd

PS Some have replaced the bracket rivets with AN3 bolts.
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Post by 8233 »

Mac, agreed the plan as to address all the usual suspects including making sure the paperwork is in order, ADs complied with. Useful load isn't ideal but I intent to try to look for ways to put her on a diet. The wings themselves only cost 21lbs according to the 337. I suspect I may just need to weigh it to know for sure although it does have a current W&B, sometimes previous owners don't keep that updated. There are some missing log entries from the 50s,60s and I am trying to understand that as well. The weather is looking good this weekend so I'm pretty sure the pre buy will get done and hopefully with a positive outcome!

Edd, thanks for bringing that up. It was on my mental list of things to cover because I knew there was an AD associated with it but I will make sure to cover off on that.

Thanks again guys.
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Are they really missing, or did the plane just sit idle?

Post by 8233 »

Good question, I'm pending a response from the current owner. He said there was an explanation but I did not get the impression it was sitting idle. In any event, the plane was totally restored in 1994 way after this gap.
David Freeland - CFII
Name: Martin Tanguay
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5115 »

4004 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:55 pm PS Some have replaced the bracket rivets with AN3 bolts.
If I remember correctly, I think it was mentioned in a previous Forum post, that it was not legal to have the bracket bolted instead riveted. I'm sorry that my memory doesn't serve me well, but maybe someone on the Forum will remember that statement and confirm if it is correct or if I dreamed that one! LOL
Martin Tanguay
Intl Cessna 120-140 Association - Canadian rep
C140, C-FJAR, 1946, sn:9168, O-200, ragwings
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

Respectfully, suggest one check AC 43.13 for allowed substitutions.

Big Edd

Post by 8233 »

Well, unfortunately I had to walk away from the deal for 3 reasons. The seller was not interested in adjusting his price based on what my IA and myself found. Even with a price adjustment, I might have still walked. Here were the 3 show stoppers, tell me if you agree or disagree with my decision:

1. There was corrosion in the wings and tail. My IA said it would not prevent him from signing off on it at an annual but I would have to stay on top of it by fogging it ever year and so on. In the wings, we found it on the stringers and the spar.

2. His logbook gap was much bigger than he first thought and upon closer inspection, he basically had zero logs before a 1994 restoration. Airframe log was labeled at Book #4 and first 3 were missing. Same story on the engine where it was #2 and #1 was missing. The restoration of both airframe and engine were in the records for 1994 to current date. I was told that missing 50 years of logs can cut the value in half. I don't think everyone always agrees on that point but it wasn't a comforting development to say the least.

3. Last one was there was a crack in the structure at the left wing strut attachment point where it runs into the fuselage. It was an airworthiness issue per my IA but it was repairable for likely $2500 or more.

The plane on the whole actually looked really nice, paint was good, needed some polishing, but it was evident it had spent the in the southeast including Georgia and I suspect Florida. The interior and panel were also is nice ship. Overall curb appeal was very nice. I had offered and we had an agreed upon price I thought was fair but t was based on a successful pre-buy. When he refused to even talk about a lower price, it was a no brainer to walk away. Some of you would have likely walked anyway between the missing logs and corrosion.

Did I make the right call in your opinions?

Thanks
Attachments
tap1.jpg
tap1.jpg (32.34 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
tap6.jpg
tap6.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (166.19 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
David Freeland - CFII
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

The third photo is of greatest concern. Cracks in the door post/gear box are often a can of worms.

The missing logs are annoying, but not that important, IMHO. You can get the FAA records, which are really the only things that must be included in the permanent records that cannot be superseded by the later logs. My engine came out of a Piper and I have no logs from before it was installed on my plane, so, no total time. The engine was overhauled when it was installed,(and again a few years back), so nothing that has to be kept is missing.

Did you say what the asking price was?

Post by 8233 »

Listed at 29 and we had settled on 24 before these items were discovered. What about the wing corrosion? Thoughts there?

I have told people the loss of 50 years of logs will really affect the resale value and my ability to sell it in general.

Thanks
David Freeland - CFII
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

David wrote: "Did I make the right call in your opinions?"

YES
Mac