electric aileron trim?

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: George C
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests:

electric aileron trim?

Post by 8306 »

My new-to-me 140A has an electric aileron trim system. It flies more or less straight, but I get the feeling that it's papering over an underlying rigging issue; is anyone familiar with this system? You can see the trim tab deflection in cruise below. Thanks.
--
George
N140PD
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG (296.98 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Re: electric aileron trim?

Post by V529 »

Neutral your trim out and see what the airplane does in straight and level flight, at cruise power. (with the airplane loaded evenly, fuel, pilots etc)

When I set up trim on one of these, I go by myself, full fuel in right tank and minimal in the left, that way I'm not "inducing" a heavy wing. Cruise power(or whatever power setting you will be using the most). Ball in the center, let go, see what happens.

Judging by the trim, it's pushing the left aileron up, so with the electric trim even......

Does it slowly turn right?
Does it bank right?
skid one way or the other?

Every airplane is going to need a little trim help, on an airplane like ours, electric trim really isn't necessary. Not sure why they installed it.
Name: Russell B
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: electric aileron trim?

Post by 8323 »

I have electric aileron trim on my C140. I assume that it was installed because of the additional fuel tank that the airplane also has.
While not necessary, it is a convenient option.