Fabric wing repair

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Fabric wing repair

Post by 7912 »

HELP!!
My name is Pete Everett and I live in Jackson, MS and I have a large problem. My right wing tank had to be removed and the mechanic (not an A&P or an IA) could get anyone qualified to work on replacing the repaired certified tank.

I have a 1948 cessna 140 and can deliver the wing within a reasonable distance. If anyone can complete this repair please let me know.

My phone # is 601-842-2386 and email is pc_everett@yahoo.com. Due to the promised IA going missing and other calamities my plane has been out of service for a year, I would really like to get back in the air. If you or any one you know can help PLEASE let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Pete everett
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Re: Fabric wing repair

Post by V529 »

Hi Pete,

I want to be certain what you're looking for.

A. the tank repaired?
B. the Tank is repaired, but the tank needs to be installed in the wing.
C. Everything needs to be done, tank repair, install in wing and then repair fabric and paint?

There are several techs in Central Texas, I know of a pretty good tech in NW Florida, we may be able to find someone closer.

David Lowe is in Western KY and probably the best at what you need.
I've sent an email to several members in the SE to see if they know of someone from the AL, AR, Louisiana or Texas area that might be able to help you out.
PM me or Email (better) and we'll exchange notes.
Name: John L
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8281 »

PM sent.

John
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7912 »

Tank has been repaired and is certified. Needtank replaced in wing, strapped down and fabric replaced and correctly repaired
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

If you have an A&P who can reinstall the wing on the aircraft, and that A&P knows how to do fabric work, then you should be all set. Repairing the fabric over the tank does not rise to the level of a major repair, so no IA is required. Of course, absent an A&P, you cannot return the plane to service after reinstalling the wing, so the rest is moot.

Major fabric repair: Repair of fabric covering involving an area greater than that required to repair two adjacent ribs.