Landing Light Motor Rebuild

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Clint
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Dork Bars

Landing Light Motor Rebuild

Post by 8201 »

I have a 48 140 that I purchased a couple years ago. When I bought it the landing light motor had been removed and the light secured into the retracted position. The piano key switch had apparently been left in the retract position and the motor had ceased to work. I’m guessing burnt up the motor or stripped the worm gears. My searches have come up empty handed on where to find parts, how to rebuild, etc. Any tips, advice or tactics would be much appreciated.
Fly it til it’s in the hangar!
Name: Edd
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Landing Light Motor Rebuild

Post by 4004 »

There is a company supporting these old units - I think it's called AVLITE - you may try searching this name but I'm sure Prof John C. will be on shortly and can send you their direct link - I wouldn't assume anything until you remove (easily done) and diagnose on the bench. There have been earlier info about these units.

Edd
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Yes, Avlite.

The motor shuts off when the light reaches the up or down limit, so it's unlikely (not impossible) there's a problem with the motor or gear train. More likely there's an issue with the contacts inside the housing. It's easy enough to take it down and check, if you are anything other than completely electrically illiterate.

One other issue I've run across is someone putting an AGC fuse in the original fuse holder, which requires a larger fuse, AGS or 4AG.
Name: Clint
Occupation-Interests: Dork Bars

Post by 8201 »

Excellent! I will do some bench testing and see where that leads me. I did notice on initial removal and inspection the contact springs were different lengths and thought that may have something to do with it. Figured while it was out it wouldn’t be a bad idea to research an overhaul due to convenience. Appreciate the help!
Fly it til it’s in the hangar!