Main gear wheel alignment

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Main gear wheel alignment

Post by 8172 »

Hi we have a C120 ,1946, and wanted to get some ideas on the correct alignment methods we are going to put solid axles on soon and our tires are wearing on the outside edges badly
Your advice is much appreciated
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Main gear wheel alignment

Post by 6643 »

If you can get your hands on a copy of the Cessna 100 series maintenance manual it's covered there.
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

My initial check is to hold a string on the outside edge of the tires and see where it locates on the horizontal stabilizer. If I remember correctly it should be 8-11 inches from the tips. If one is a lot different than the other, that is an issue.The outside wear is pretty typical as the gear is hanging down and narrower, which makes the touchdown on the outer edges of the tires.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name: Ray Hunter
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired AF, B-17, UH-1, pilot for Yankee Air Museum

Post by 6277 »

Wear on the outside is typical. You can reverse the tires on the rims to get more mileage. The left side on mine wears more than the right most likely because because I fly solo a lot. I then swap the wheels to get a bit more out of the tires.
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

The outside wear can be from too much toe in also! Make sure you use "grease plates or wheel alignment plates to relive the tension on the wheels to get correct reading.
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

When I first got my plane the tires were badly worn on the outside. I finally figured out someone had installed the shims backwards. Once I fixed that and reversed the tires they wore evenly.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8172 »

Thanks for all the help
Name: Richard Maxted
Aircraft Type: Cessna 120
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7950 »

Literally just finished doing this today. The Cessna Service Letter SLN 56 is a great description but I also found this attached figure from the 100 Series workshop manual useful so I added the other necessary data to the original to make a one-stop diagram for sticking to the aircraft whilst doing the job...
Toe in checks Diagram.pdf
(51.65 KiB) Downloaded 803 times
The thing I found was that you need to measure from your set square to both the front and rear edge of the wheel centre flange as the bulge in the tire will mean that you can't place the set square onto the centre hub directly. I found that using a set square and then spike end of a micrometer to read the distance to the front flange and rear flange worked well. Easier to do than to describe. Don't forget to halve the difference between the two readings as toe in/out is from the centre of the wheel to the flange as described in SLN56.

Mine were 1/64th" out. In tolerance basically. I also checked the camber using the method on the attached. Less than 1 degree. But I too have scrubbing on the outer edge of the pilot side tyre. Conclusion ( supported by the service letter ) is that this is due to improper over inflation by yours truly when I was new to the aeroplane. Others at my flying club reminded me that Spitfires routinely scrub the outer edge of the LHS tyre so that makes me feel better !